Pages

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Broccoli chicken casserole

I was texting with Nicole last night while I was cooking dinner. One dish that I've been making for Chris for many years is broccoli chicken casserole. Nicole asked if I had ever given her the recipe to it. I was pretty sure I hadn't, because it tends to change based on what I have available. It gave me the idea to blog it. So here's my broccoli chicken casserole.

 

Coat a chicken breast with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Sear it in butter or olive oil or some greasy come thing of your choice.

Let it sit five minutes or so before you cut it up. Meanwhile, dice onions, maybe a half cup, dice 1 jalapeño, a garlic clove, and a handful of mushrooms. I like baby bellas, but you can certainly use buttons.

Sautée these up, onions first, then soon after peppers, garlic, and finally mushrooms. I just use the chicken pan so I don't have to wash an extra dish, but you can use any sort of butter or olive oil you want.

 

Chop and blanch some broccoli, hmmmm, I have no idea how much, maybe a medium sized head.

 

Then you'll need some goo to make it bind. This could be any number of things. Last night I used about a 1/3 cup of mayo and a 1/4 cup of sour cream, with a splash of Caesar dressing and two eggs. Two eggs is always good for binding. You could also use cream of mushroom soup, or cream of chicken, even Greek yogurt would work.

 

Whatever you use, be sure to put plenty of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder in it. It needs flavor. Then add a 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded cheddar.

 

Now, mix it all up and put it in a greased casserole dish. We made cobblers in these dishes at the Cricket and because of that, I will always call them cobbler dishes.

On top, put something crunchy. Funyuns, Cheetos, potato chips, Munchos, crackers, Chez-its, whatever you have. I used sour cream and onion "Xtra" Pringles (they were a little spicy).

Crush them up, but don't get too many or too much, it will make the casserole dry, and taste like chips instead of creamy, cheesy broccoli goodness.

Bake on 350 till the top is brown and sides are bubbly. If you've just made it, maybe 25 minutes, but if you made it the day before and put it in the fridge, more like 45.

 

It was super tasty!!

 

1 comment:

  1. I love all things Swedish as you well know....but i think this blog post is my absolute favorite! You should do many more food posts, the photos make me want to reach in and sample and i love a recipe that calls for whatever goo. I will be making this very very soon. xx

    ReplyDelete