Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving a couple of weeks ago, Chris and I had a big ole dinner. Last year, Thanksgiving was the low point for me. This year, I decided to embrace the holiday as best I could. It started small. Zoƫ and I decided we would cook the usual suspects and invite just two or three more people. In the end there were 16 adults and 3 kids!

We did all our cooking the night before.

It was a shame this cornbread turned into dressing, it was the best cornbread I've ever made

Chris was doing the turkey. He brought his turkey fryer over, and spent some time converting it so it could use a Swedish propane tank. It was a huge success!

 

 

We ended up cooking two turkeys. When I was a kid I liked to name the turkeys while I was washing them. We had an 8 lb and an 18 lb, and they got Swedish names, Malin and Gustav. I know this next picture seems like something gone wrong, but yes, it is indeed a woman carving the turkey. I'm sure it's close to treason, but so it goes.

 

Charlie waited patiently for his taste, and was Johnny on the spot when things hit the floor.

Everybody brought something and in the end we had a ridiculous amount of food: turkey, dressing, butternut squash quiche, cranberries, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower and bechemel, gravy, apple pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pecan pie, and on and on! We packed to go containers for everyone, explaining the importance of Thanksgiving leftovers. We had 10 countries represented and everyone was so happy to get to enjoy a real Thanksgiving.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment