Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Leaving East TN

Getting out of town for me was a pretty rough go.  Except for a small stint as a single digit youngster, I have always lived in East Tennessee.  When I was younger, I thought I wanted to move away and see the world, but as I got older I realized I loved it there and I didn't have to move to see the world.  However, money doesn't grow on trees, and when you spend as much time in school as I have, you expect a job that pays, and sometimes that means moving.  Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the new adventure, just saying.

First thing's first, I had to finish up my 5 year graduate school journey.  That required a lot of writing, bleh!, and a presentation.  Somehow I don't have a single picture of me and Claudia.  Anyway, I owe her a lot.  She was an excellent mentor and became a very good friend.  I imagine we will keep in touch for years to come.

This is pretty typical me.  Chris loved it so much he gave it some effects.
So dressed in orange, of course, I gave it my best.  I am happy to report that the room was full of friends and family.  It was awesome to have such support.  I was truly happy about everyone that attended, thank-you.  I know for the family it was an onerous task, but I thank you.  I especially thank Chris, mom, and dad.  They were troopers as they waited the hour it took for the one-on-one with my committee. (Side note on the orange blazer: my fashion guru handed me this blazer and said, "Wear this."  We were in Atlanta Jan 2012 for her birthday and we were shopping at H&M.  Was the H&M defense blazer foretelling that I'd end up in Sweden?)

The next week was a whirlwind of corrections, goodbyes, and packing up. 

Leaving my office in Neyland Stadium.  The best office I ever had!
Chris posted most of the good pictures, but I wanted to say just a few things.  I was happy to get to spend time with three of my oldest friends, Jacque, Daniel, and Ryan.  I've known them for about 18 years and I'm happy to say that we still hang out.  I can't see a time when they won't be in my life.  Then of course there are newer friends like Nicole and Sara, these are my girls.  We always have the best times together, and boy can we tell you a story or three.  And that leaves the newest friends, Samantha, Niss, and Sam (ok Sam isn't that new, I think I may have even tutored him in math or some such, but our reconnection is new).  We love all these people dearly!  This group made every effort to hang out with us the last few days and those are memories I'll never forget.


I sure will miss those hugs and kisses :(

It's a Corvette!  Who could resist a picture with a Corvette?!?
We spent our last night in town with my parents.  Saying bye to mom and dad was hard.  Mom has always wanted to me to be independent, but I think she got more than she bargained for with me.  I'm about as independent as they come.  There's pretty much nothing I won't do, and I sure don't need any help doing it!!  But when it comes to a little girl moving across an ocean from her mom and dad, even the most independent gets some reservations.  They are so proud of me, and I am so grateful for them.  I can't wait till we have enough data to Skype!
I love you!!
So that's it.  I'm not in Knoxville anymore.  I was the girl who still called Belk "that store that used to be Proffit's" and I remember seeing ET and Star Wars in the theater in the parking lot of West Town, long before the fancy Regal theater got built inside the mall (when West Town was a shadow of what it is now).  I remember going to the Mercury before it was Pres Pub, and when Watson's was on the Square.  I bought my 1st couch at Fowler's on Gay St., and I remember when Turkey Creek was still an official wetlands.  Oh yeah, and Tomo and Little Sister's used to be in the Old City, and Barley's was the Spaghetti Warehouse.  My parents have even older memories when Market Square really was a market.  They remember a day when visiting Knoxville meant getting covered in soot from all the industry.  My dad waved goodbye to his dad from the Gay St. bridge as my grandfather left for WWII.   I've seen a big turn around in Knoxville, and I look forward to coming back one day. 


So this is me, standing in my orange and white, wearing my locally made t-shirt, looking at my empty house and wondering what will happen now as I head out that door for the "old world."

In case you were wondering how that ole grad school thing worked out....well, you can call me Dr. Everett now!!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Dr. Everett. Great post! I got a bit teared up, but in a good way! I look forward to the day when we're all back in Knoxville together with all these people we love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah well good thing these days at home for me don't include mascara, i'd be a blackeyed mess after reading this post! So happy and proud to call you two friends! And again a HUGE congratulations on the Dr. Everett part...that is a massive achievement and your parents are right to be proud of you:)

    ReplyDelete