Pages

Friday, June 21, 2013

Katedralskolan, Lund

I think it's fair to say that a large majority of the people in the world have no idea what goes on at neutron research facilities, and it's no different in Lund.  They all know that ESS is being built, and they are all very proud to have it here, but they aren't exactly sure why or what.  So the local highschool asked if someone from ESS could come and give an educational talk on neutrons; where they come from, and what we will do with them.  The someone asked to do this was me.  I have no problems with public speaking, so I was happy to agree, but I had never prepared a lecture on neutrons - I'm not exactly a physicist.  I have had plenty of classes along the way that would help, and having just done my research at ORNL where research was performed that led to a Nobel Prize in neutron scattering, I figured I could at least tell some stories.

The name Katedralskolan means Cathedral School.  I asked if it was catholic, and someone said no, they it's just on the same road as the big cathedral.  I looked it up and they think it used to be a seminary for catholic priests.  It is the oldest school in Scandinavia and possibly in Northern Europe.  It was founded by a donation from a Danish king, Canute the Saint, in 1085.

A view from inside the courtyard

The auditorium I spoke in was in this building

I asked someone in the courtyard for help and the pointed me toward this door.

Neutrons at ESS: where they come from and what we do with them



Apparently ESS doesn't want us to connect neutrons with the atomic bombs, but the research reactor at X-10 was key to developing neutron scattering, so being a proud Tennessee girl, I of course talked about it.  I gave two lectures with about 75-100 students each.  They seemed to really enjoy it, only a few sleepy heads.  The second group even asked questions!


1 comment: